Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Choices

Foxnews... Bush: Iraq Pullout Would Hurt Democracy

I feel bad for our fallen soldiers. I feel bad for their families.

We live in a great soceity. We have the privilege of choice.

And yet, I wonder what people think of when they choose to join the military. Is it much like joining the police or fire department with the intention of never seeing action?

And so I wonder about comments such as this one from the article:

"Nothing is going to justify my husband's death," said Melanie House, 27, of Simi Valley, Calif., whose husband, Navy medic John House, was killed in a January helicopter crash.

"Why are we there? What is President Bush trying to get out of this? Why must my son be fatherless?" she told the crowd, referring to her 8-month-old son.

Ms. House, I'm sorry for your pain. But, your husband chose the military. He chose to do something honorable. Why can't you see that? Will you now raise your son to be honorable and defend this great country or raise him to be a hate-filled radical?

It all boils down to choice.

No comments: