Thursday, October 20, 2005

A Few Bones to Pick

Okay, I have a few gripes.

First, I read the interview between Dave Ramsey, author of "Total Money Makeover", and Neil Cavuto regarding how to deal with the increasing cost of gas and utilities. When Ramsey was asked by a caller whether or not to purchase a new heating system to lower his monthly heating bills, Ramsey simply told him to work a second job.

Ramsey went on to tell Cavuto that what we really need to do is pinch our dollars, i.e. lay off the $5 drinks at Starbucks or $20 car washes and put that money in the bank towards those skyrocketing bills.

I couldn't agree more. We're increasingly living in a time of self-indulgence and not preparing for future hard times. What ever happened to saving money for that rainy day? Guess what? Those rainy days are fast approaching.

Side note: I don't advocate working two or three jobs just to pay for bills. Our soceity is already overworked and doesn't spend enough qualitity time with family.

Second gripe, evangelical pastors advocating living a luscious lifestyle rather than being content with what we already have. Lately I've listened to the sermons of many conservative evangelical pastors who are seemingly wanting their flock to, " earn more/get more". I heard one pastor say, "Jesus didn't say we couldn't have more if we earned more..." Needless to say, I was in shock.

Now I'm not talking about living in a state of poverty and giving all your posessions away. What I am saying is that we as Christians need to be more careful with what we own and not over indulge ourselves. I am writing this entry from firsthand experience. If you don't control your spending habits, money, debt, and consumption will haunt you.

When we begin to idolize money and more stuff, we are taking our hearts and minds away from a loving and boundless God.

1 comment:

DEBTective said...

Bub, just wanted to say I'm big-time proud of you for spreading the word about Dave Ramsey and debt freedom, and for working for The Man Upstairs. Seems like Dave's plan and you have something in common ... you both make tons of sense. Here's looking at you, kid. www.debtective.com