Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Surviving

Many of you know that I suffer from diabetic proliferative retinopathy. I have an exam every 3 months to check on any new capillary growth and how well my eyes are healing. Yesterday, I had a 3 month follow-up appointment to examine bleeding that occurred in my left eye back in January.

The good news is that the healing is going extremely well. A vitrectomy was not needed, nor was a laser surgery. I can't thank you all enough for your thoughts and prayers. The prognosis was also hopeful with the slight chance of future bleeding. But my doctor was very confident that if bleeding did occur, it would only help in the healing. I know this sounds weird, but I have faith in my retinal opthamologist.

Now the bad news. For the last two days, my blood sugars have been like a roller coaster. This is due to all the stress I've been under since early Monday. Stress such as the eye appointment, project deadlines [work], and employee-personnel changes [work] have killed my blood sugar levels. Even as I write this, the anxiousness hasn't worn off; I can feel it affecting me.

Thankfully, I am monitoring my sugars every 2 hours and making adjustments as I go. The OmniPod insulin pump can't come here soon enough...

No comments: