Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I Ain't Happy With the SBC

My evening ritual begins with putting our boys in bed and getting caught up on my blog roll. Last night, however, something made me a little more than angry.

I visited Tim Ellsworth's blog to see the news that Bob Reccord resigned as President from the North American Mission Board. I saw this coming from the recent published audit report in The Christian Index.

No, I'm not mad at Tim, but I am mad at what is happening in the Southern Baptist Convention. As a lay person, I don't understand the apparent ongoing attacks aimed at the current leadership. Attacks aimed at Jerry Rankin, Wade Burleson, and now Bob Reccord. Is there something going on that I'm missing?

Maybe so, but this seems to me something more than just "change". This seems like an unnecessary, legalistic cleansing. You don't have to be a minister to see the writing on the wall.

So the question beckons: Who is next?

I mean, if the North American Mission Board isn't living up to the Convention's standards, I'm sure other groups aren't either.

No comments: