Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Medtronic STAR 3 Trial

I saw the original headline from Diabetes Health, so I can't take credit for finding this. However, I've become more and more fascinated with studies using a continuous glucose monitoring system (CGM).

Alas, Medtronic has conducted and published their study here:
STAR 3 (website)
STAR 3 (pdf)

I have argued this point before, so I'll do it again. I believe the CGM is probably the most significant and vital product of our time. And arguably, more important than the insulin pump.

Why?

At the end of the day, our blood sugar levels determine the functionality of our lives. Damage to our bodies can occur if we are not in control. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't take care of myself for many years and it led to minor complications. I'm better now, but only because I try to keep my sugar levels in control. I have my good days and my not so good days. I test myself approximately 8 times a day. Do I plan on using a CGM in my near future? Sure do!

And in other news...
This diabetic is taking a break from pumping this summer. I've tried everything just short of duct tape to keep my infusion set on in this heat, and I can't make it stick. I usually apply Mastisol, and generally it works great, but for some reason my sweat is dissolving it. Strange, but true. Going back on shots hasn't been too bad though. It has made me think twice about whether to eat a snack. Hello weight loss and more time in the pool! When given lemons, make lemonade...sugar-free preferably.

Keep strong!

Mark

No comments: