Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Today's Thoughts

Okay, so I'm seeing a number of d-posts lately talking about a rather "sensitive" subject: carbohydrates or 'carbs' for short.

This particular food group is either your really good friend or your worst enemy. I try to see carbs in a positive light. Our bodies need them for energy, but if your body resembles - say - a russet potato, then there's a problem. Worse yet, I am one of those idiots that can't say no to a good carb in either solid or liquid form. :)

The trouble is, the older I get with my diabetes (my diabetes is over 33 years old, while I am now over 41...AARP card anyone?), the less my body properly digests carbs. Is it a sign of gastroparesis? I don't know and I will get tested. But until then, the less carbs for me, the better.

And in other news...
Had a bummer OmniPod pod removal the other day. I replaced my expired pod with a new one. When I removed the old one, a nice trickle of blood came screaming down my abdomen. Nice. In a matter of seconds, I had a blood stain on my shorts the size of a plum. This was not at all pleasing to my wife or kids. "Dad, it's like you've been shot!" exclaimed my oldest son. Nothing says "diabetes" like a good blood stain.

Finally, yes I am not writing as frequently as I would like to. Even though school is out for our boys and life is starting to calm down, I am still busy. I do keep up with many of the d-blogs out there. So, even though I'm not posting as much, I'm still in the game.

Laugh, live, and love...

Mark

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bloodstains and diabetes seem to go together, don't they?

And no worries on the writing thing man - life gets busy! Write when you can and when you feel like it. :-)