Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Starting an Exercise Routine

Woke up 30 minutes earlier this morning and rode 5 miles on my stationary bike. Laugh all you want, but Toto never caught me: :-)

My goal is to return to an exercise routine and, with God's help, loose 15-20 lbs. One day at a time...

The better I treat my body, the longer I live with minimal complications. I already suffer from proliferative diabetic retinopathy. For the last year and a half, I've had numerous laser surgeries. Not fun and, despite what others may think, very painful. I have to be very careful with my activity; not too much motion to my head. That said, stationary biking is my ticket.

As most diabetics will tell you, beginning a particular exercise can play havoc with the blood sugar. Hormones awaken and are released in to the body causing the blood sugar to rise. After the exercise becomes routine, the hormones subside. Subsequently, blood sugar levels drop.

My blood sugar went from a 185, before the ride, to 329 afterward. After an ample correction, I came back down to a 130. An insulin pump would be a big help.

Tomorrow's another day.

No comments: