Tuesday, July 07, 2009

The Lows and Highs

This past Sunday afternoon, I had a rude interuption of the hypoglycemia sort. In my opinion, "lows"--as we diabetics like to call them--are more manageable than "highs" or hyperglycemia. Case in point: my BG was a 43. I immediately suspended my insulin pump (for 30 minutes) and ate a handful of mountain trail mix to get a boost. Twenty minutes later and I'm sitting at a comfortable 130.

Not that the low slowed me down, but, it was recognizing the low that kept me out of trouble. You see, we were starting our way home from a family member's house when the "drunken master" reared it's ugly head. Before getting in to the car, I handed over the keys to my wife, sat in the back seat next to my youngest son, and tested. He announced the results to my wife. Thankfully, we were only 5 minutes from home and I really did not want the Sour Patch wormy thingies my sons wanted me to eat. Give me chocolate or give me death! Nothing else will do. (Okay yes, other things will do, but I prefer chocolate. :) ]

Highs, on the other hand, just simply suck. Imagine taking anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours to combat high blood sugar. No thanks, I'll take a low any day! Sure, both come with their own set of "baggage", e.g. energy drain, headaches, various bodily pains, but I'll take the ability to eat/drink to treat a low than not with a high (hyperglycemia is usually treated with insulin first, then you can do as you please).

All in all, neither prevent me from enjoying life, especially with an active family. Diabetes is an active disease. We can't pause it, stop it, or will it to go away. So, we must stay on it and do our best every day.

"Dad, are you sure you don't want a sour gummy worm? They're a little warm from being in the car..."

"Uh, no, really, I'll be just fine..." Yuck. :D Our boys are truly awesome...

2 comments:

Patrick Chapman said...

Great post. I completely agree. Personally, I prefer dealing with lows simply because I seem to be able to recover from them so much faster. Spoonful of peanut butter, sit tight for about 20 minutes and I'm good to go. Whereas with the highs you can drink a gallon of water, run six miles and still have to wait 3 hours for everything to feel "normal". I realize part of this is because I don't use insulin but I definitely agree with you.

Mark said...

P-
Thankfully, you've taken great care of yourself and your Type 2! :) BTW, when you gonna do the Peachtree? You're in shape to ride it...