Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Graduation: A New Challenge

Saturday, December 15th began with a quiet excitedness in the air. My wife, I, and our boys would soon be meeting our good friends, Misawa and his wife, for lunch. Soon thereafter, we would join Misawa in the celebration of a long-awaited journey. He would be graduating from college with a 4-year engineering degree. There was much to celebrate.

As I have gotten older, I've taken the time to look for meaning beyond what I see on the surface of life. For instance, Misawa graduated not only with fellow students from the United States, but with students from other nations. Yes, there were students who earned their diplomas from such places as China, Kenya, Nigeria, Latin America, and Iran.

I found it wonderfully amazing that these students, from near and far, came here to earn their degree. They came here in pursuit of opportunity; opportunities they probably wouldn't have in their home countries. Yet with their diplomas, they can now pursue opportunities any where in the world. May God richly bless them.

Misawa - You've persevered and finished one of many races yet to come. As one journey ends, another begins. Remember, keep God and family first and don't ever let work embroil your life. Lastly, never lose the love of adventure...

1 comment:

misawa said...

Yeah, the whole international thing at school was neat - until I had some of those guys in a group project. Then it became a study in linguistics and patience. I thought about petitioning the department for a 2nd degree in Spanish, French, Swahili, and Chinese by the time it was all done.

Thanks for coming! I couldn't have imagined it without y'all being there.