Friday, February 02, 2007

A Happy Anniversary

I'm a little late in this posting, but I have some wonderful news to pass on.

This past December [the week prior to Christmas], I celebrated having insulin dependent diabetes for 30 years. 30 years! What do I have to show for it? Nothing. That's right, nothing. No bodily damage due to reckless behavior. Am I lucky? No.

I am blessed. Luck has nothing to do with my disease, nor my life. God does.

Want better news? I just got my 3-month A1c result from my doctor. Now please realize that I have been off my insulin pump since June '06. In addition, my sister introduced me to Lantus. In July '06, my A1c was at 6.7. Not too shabby. So what is it now?

6.1

Let the applause begin.

I honestly didn't believe I could get better control on shots with a long acting insulin. I thought I was going to get in big trouble. I prepared myself to go back on the pump if necessary. So what does all this mean?

That if you take the time to keep your diabetes under control, it won't rule you; it won't destroy you. Believe me, after 30 years, I've been there and understand the challenges. Life is too valuable for me to allow diabetes to take it.

Keep fighting the good fight.

No comments: