Friday, September 15, 2006

Respect


Respect is given - Respect is earned.

I could go into a tirade detailing how people have forgotten this lifelong lesson. However, ashamedly, there was a time in my life when I was the same way. What happens that we lose the will to give respect?

It is the same as our struggle with sin. We simply choose our sinful nature, then our life in Christ. The Apostle Paul writes in Romans 7 his struggles with sin. He has the capability of doing good, but his sin overtakes him:

"I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time." (The Message)

I recently posted my disappointment with young martial artists and their lack of respect at a large tournament. I am reminded by Christ himself how easy it is wander away from Him. We tend to put character away in the closet, for a while, and then let it back out.

So, what do we do? Here's Paul's answer:

"I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?
The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different."
(The Message)

First, get right with Christ and, second, remember to be respectful to all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The concept of respect was created by man. Respect can be gained and lost. We revere all life, the environment, and our world. Reverence is really part of our true nature and God's law.