Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Staying Motivated

When I began planning my exercise routine, my wife and I agreed that the time of day to exercise was critical. Why?

1. I drive 25 miles each way to work everyday; out at 6:30 am, in by 5:30-6ish pm.

2. After I get home, I help my wife with either the kids' homework or cooking dinner (yes, I cook and everyone is still living)

3. Intense exercise before bedtime is NEVER a good idea (waking up at 2:30 am with a 25 blood sugar is not cool)

4. In the past, my body always did better with morning exercise

Before my stationary biking venture, I awoke every morning at 5:30 am and was out the door at 6:30. Now, I am up at 5 am (or sometimes 4:45 am), test, use the potty, drink a little water, then bike.

So, how do I stay motivated even though my body sometimes screams for more sleep? In addition to prayer, music, and writing, I search for articles and blogs on the web that motivate me. Such sites as dLife.com, Team Type 1, Jay Hewitt, and Triabetes.org are just a few. These sites offer so much valuable information on diabetes, exercise, and diet.

Being motivated to take care of my disease is a step closer to preventing further complications. Staying motivated means that I don't live in fear of what is around the corner; be it further retinopathy, neuropathy, heart disease, or cancer.

Keep well and...

get motivated!

Mark

No comments: